Vitamin A has been known to help keep the skin healthy. Retinoids are vitamin A derivatives used to treat aging skin, psoriasis and warts because they can speed up the cell turnover of the skin. This process helps even out skin discoloration and smooths the skin. Additionally, retinol face cream products have many uses, such as minimizing the appearance of wrinkles, helping keep the skin thicker, maintaining the elasticity of the skin, slowing the breakdown of collagen, which helps keep the skin firm and lightens the brown spots caused by sun exposure and age.
Very often occurs the process of peeling when beginning to use retinol. But, this process helps to thicken the skin, giving it a more youthful appearance. And this sloughing off of dead skin cells is what helps get rid of the dark spots by diminishing the production of melanin. Regardless, the process requires about three to six months of consistent daily use to make a difference and can cause side effects such as burning sensations, warmth to the skin, stinging and tingling, itching, redness, swelling, dryness and peeling, mild irritation, discoloration of the skin. In rare cases, side effects include hives, swelling, and difficulty breathing.
So, because retinol is a form of vitamin A that can come from plants, it can be made at home with natural ingredients.
- 1 tbsp. rosehip seed oil
- 10 drops of carrot seed oil
- 1 tbsp. almond oil
- 1 tbsp. apricot oil
- 1 tsp. shea butter
- ¼ tsp. green tea extract
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 1 drop lemon essential oil
- Mix the rosehip oil and carrot seed oil into a glass measuring cup.
- Heat water in a pan.
- Place the measuring cup in the pan, acting as a double-boiler.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the measuring cup and blend well.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool. Once cooled, place in a glass container.
- Apply a small amount to the clean skin at night before bed.