Whiteheads also known as closed comedones appear as a result of excessive oil deposited over the skin layer. More precisely, they appear when the sebum as well as the dead skin layer creates a blockage over the skin layer. And they will more likely appear on the oiliest area on the face like the forehead, nose and chin i.e. the T-zone, especially on people with oily skin.
There are a number of things you can do to prevent the appearance of whiteheads.
- Avoid certain foods like:
- Sugar: it increases the hormone levels that can activate the oil glands and form whiteheads because of the excessive oil
- Carbs: our body breaks carbs down into sugar that can switch on the appearance of whiteheads
- Processed fats: highly saturated fats can lower the omega 3 fats in the body and cause more inflammation and acne.
- Alcohol: similar as the carbs, alcohol breaks down into sugar causing whiteheads.
- Exfoliate on a regular basis:
- One of the best ways to get rid of whiteheads is to exfoliate the skin regularly. The exfoliation will remove the dead skin cells and leave the skin smooth and soft. We recommend to use facial scrubs that have small round grains that won’t damage the skin.
- Use facial masks for oily skin:
- Face masks can detoxify the skin and control the excess production of sebum responsible for the appearance of the whiteheads.
- Avoid comedogenic products:
- Heavy rich creams are great for wrinkles, but they can clog pores and form whiteheads. Instead go for serums, hydrating moisturizers and creams because they are much lighter version and the skin can absorb them more easily.
- Increase your blood flow:
- Exercising helps remove the toxins that can clog pores plus, the skin can get more oxygen-rich blood which can bring more nutrients to the skin.